Sunday, May 17, 2009

Laid to Rest (2009) Review

Photobucket

Cast:
Bobbi Sue Luther as The Girl
Kevin Gage as Tucker
Lena Headey as Cindy
Sean Whalen as Steven
Richard Lynch as Mr. Jones
Johnathon Schaech as Johnny
Thomas Dekker as Tommy
Nick Principe as Chrome Skull

Directed by Robert Hall

Review:
Sometimes I worry that I blindly accept any slasher movie that comes along as being worthwhile, regardless of the film's actual quality. Admittedly that's not a great deal to worry about but I as I eagerly embrace one slasher film after another as other fans and critics jump to pick them apart, I do have to wonder if my misspent adolescence being a huge fan of the '80s horror flicks made me too fond of the slasher sub-genre for my own good. But thankfully, Laid To Rest is the exception that proves the rule. I really disliked this movie, which leaves me relieved to know my objectivity is intact.

The plot is quite simple: an amnesiac woman (Bobbi Sue Luther) wakes up inside of a casket in a funeral home. Upon escaping from the casket, she immediately finds herself pursued by the diabolical killer known as Chrome Skull (Nick Principe) and is forced to run for her life. With no memory of who she is or why this killer is targeting her, she has no choice but to stay ahead of Chrome Skull at all costs ? seeking help wherever she can find it.

Although I don't find the cinematography to be anything special, the elaborate splatter effects (courtesy of Hall's FX company Almost Human) are down right amazing. And slasher fans like myself will take enthusiastic notice of Laid To Rest's villainous Chrome Skull. With his gleaming skull mask, it's as though he stepped off the cover of an early '80s heavy metal album. As soon as you see him, you want to see him in action. But while he does get in some amazing kills, sadly Laid to Rest is a terrible debut for old Chrome Skull.

Every half decent slasher needs a good survivor girl, who thwarts the villain and against all odds comes out on top in the end. Luther's character really does come across as someone who doesn't have the skills she needs to live through this ordeal. Rather than evincing the kind of resourcefulness and self-sufficiency that one wants to see in a slasher heroine, Luther brings a lot of whimpering and crying to it.

The amount of blood shed on display here might be enough to warrant a cursory glance from slasher fans but while Chrome Skull's metallic mask is an undeniably cool sight; Laid To Rest's characters and plotting could have been better.

C
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment